Polenta, or grits depending on where you’re from, are a great vehicle for many things, primarily butter and cheese (and mushrooms!). Cook it in stock and you’ll get even more flavor without having to load it with too many extra calories.
To cook, use 3 parts liquid to 1 part polenta. Heat the liquid just to a boil and whisk in polenta. Lower the heat to a very gentle simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until the polenta is tender, thick, and creamy. I sometimes have to add a bit more liquid if it’s cooking out too quickly, which can happen with smaller batches. Also beware of splatter! It’s like lava.
NATURAL Red Velvet Cupcakes ‘n Pancakes with Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting!
INGREDIENTS (6 cupcakes and 10 mini pancakes)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 steamed beet
- 1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP ground flax seed
- 2 TBSP baking powder
- pinch of salt
- a squeeze of lemon
FROSTING (for cupcakes)
- 4 oz of 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese
- 1 TBSP of nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp of honey
- drops of natural beet juice to desired color of pink
- dash of psyllium husk to thicken (optional)
CREAM CHEESE DRIZZLE (for pancakes)
- Same as above but add a dash of almond milk to make it more liquidy! Or if you want the consistency to be more ooey gooey add another tsp of honey!
DIRECTIONS FOR CUPCAKES:
- Grab a fresh beet. Chop off the head and tail. Wash the skin thoroughly! You need to scrub it to get the dirt off.
- Then place it in a small bowl filled with a couple TBSP of water. Cover with saran wrap. Then microwave for about 5 min or until soft enough to puree.
- Now! Place the beet in a blender, squeeze some lemon (to preserve radiant red color) and turn it into a soft puree. If you are having difficulty mixing, feel free to add a tiny bit of water.
- Mix the beet puree with all of your other ingredients in the blender!
- Spray your muffin tin with some cooking oil, then pour it in!
- Bake at 350F for about 15 min or until the center is no longer sticky when you dip a toothpick down it.
- Let them cool! I put them in the freezer for about 15 min.
- Then spoon your frostings into ziplock baggies, cup a small hole at the end of a corner, and go decorating crazy!
- You’re done. Now eat. WELL DESERVED.
DIRECTIONS FOR PANCAKES:
- Use the same batter. Just spray your griddle with cooking oil then pour it on, flip, and bam you’re done!
- Drizzle with the cream cheese drizzle recipe.
Share, pin, reblog!
Wahh these look so good!!
Does anyone remember those apple turn over thingys I made a while ago? Well, in that post I mention that I tried a banana filling and it sucked but guess what I FOUND a banana filling that is so perfect and yummy and delicious. I was at my grandmas house and came across it in an old baking magazine she had. It was supposed to be the filling for empanadas but obviously this is the same idea. Melt 1 tbls of earth balance and 1 tblspn of agave or corn syrup in a plan. Add 1 chopped banana and let caramelize. Remove from heat and mash. Add 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips and 1/3 cup toasted walnut halves. Roll into little spanakopita like triangles and bake at 350, watching closing so they don’t burn (they cook quickly).Enjoy with almond milk straight out of carton.
Kale & Mushroom Gratin…Comfort food at it’s finest…warm and creamy with fabulous flavors to match. Fairly simple ingredients and comes together in about an hour. No processed cheeses here either, this is a cashew based cream sauce that is easy to make and superb! Enjoy…
Vegan quinoa and sweet potato chili from Milk Free Mom. This recipe was thoughtfully suggested to me by someone on Tumblr a while ago. It’s winter and I have a slight cough so I thought it was the perfect time to whip it up.I made it with homemade veggie stock (thanks for the tips!). Can’t wait to dig into this at school later. I’ve also been making some home made neocitran drink to help with my cough. I juice 1-2 lemons right into a mug, fill with boiling water and add 1 tbls of agave.
Insanely Simple Two-Ingredient Recipes
more healthy recipes :)))